E-ISSN 2146-3077
Original Article
The Situation of Cystic Echinococcoses in Kars State Hospital for The Last Five Years
1 Kafkas Üniversitesi Kars Sağlık Yüksekokulu, Kars, Turkey  
2 Kafkas Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Genel Cerrahi Anabilim Dalı, Kars, Turkey  
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 2015; 39: 108-111
DOI: 10.5152/tpd.2015.3728
Key Words: Cystic echinococcosis, retrospective research, Kars, Turkey
Abstract

Objective: This study was conducted to contribute to the information regarding the spread of cystic echinococcosis (CE) in our country and to reveal its importance in our region by determining the spread of CE in people.

 

Methods: CE cases, which were detected by retrospectively reviewing the records at Kars State Hospital in Kars between 2009 and 2013, were evaluated in terms of age group, gender, and organ involvement. For features, descriptive statistics were stated in numbers and percentages.

 

Results: According to the obtained results, in total, 168 CE cases were specified. While female patients constitute 101 cases (60.1%), male patients constitute the remaining (39.9%). Their distribution was specified between the ages of 3 and 79 years, and it was ascertained that the cases were mostly between the age groups of 16 and 30 years at the rate of 26.8%. The second most frequent age group was between 31 and 45 years at the rate of 25.6%. CE was mostly seen in the lung (49.4%) and liver (44.6%). Additionally, 10 patients with CE in both the lung and liver were ascertained.

 

Conclusion: It is seen that CE is an important public health problem in Kars. Extensive protection and control programs should be implemented against this disease. 

Key Words
Authors
All
Reviewer's Corner
Survey
AVES | Copyright © 2018 Turkish Parasitology Association | Latest Update: 07.06.2018