E-ISSN 2146-3077
Original Article
Investigation of Strongyloides stercoralis Seroprevalence in Individuals Who Grow Vegetables and Gather Mushroom in Muğla Province in Turkey
1 Department of Medical Microbiology, İzmir Katip Çelebi University School of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey  
2 Department of Infection Diseases, Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University School of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey  
3 Department of Medical Microbiology, Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University School of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey  
4 Department of Internal Diseases, Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University School of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey  
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 2016; 40: 82-85
DOI: 10.5152/tpd.2016.4244
Key Words: Strongyloides stercoralis, Muğla, seroprevalence, Turkey, soil contact
Abstract

Objective: This study aimed to determine the incidence of Strongyloides stercoralis in individuals who live in rural areas in the towns near Mugla and have contact with humid soil and gather saffron milk cap mushroom in autumn, and to obtain epidemiological data in our region.

 

Methods: A total of 281 volunteers were included; 192 of them were the individuals who only gather mushroom, only work in the garden, or gather mushroom as well as work in the garden, while 89 had no contact with the soil. Totally, 281 sera were tested for the presence of S. stercoralis-IgG antibodies by ELISA technique, using a commercial kit (DRG® Diagnostics Strongyloides IgG ELISA EIA-4208; Germany).

 

Results: One of 281 volunteers (0.3 %) was found positive for S. stercoralis-IgG antibodies, while the other 280 volunteers (99.7 %) were found negative. Thirty-seven, 33, and 43 of 192 volunteers reported wearing only boots, only gloves, and both boots and gloves, respectively. Seventy-nine of 192 volunteers reported wearing neither boots nor gloves.

 

Conclusion: This preliminary study is the first study that involves the individuals with soil contact in our country, and it was concluded that this study will offer an insight into the other studies on S. stercoralis.

Key Words
Authors
All
Reviewer's Corner
Survey
AVES | Copyright © 2018 Turkish Parasitology Association | Latest Update: 07.06.2018